Wednesday, July 01, 2009

No more "But's" to get your Butt in Gear!

"Think about your thoughts" is something I tell my clients on a regular basis. Think about what you are saying to yourself in your own head daily. This can be very powerful because if I can transform the way they think, I can also transform the way they look and feel. Your body is listening to what your mind is telling it.

One way I can tell what their daily thoughts are is by listening to what they say out loud. A big red flag is when I hear the word, "But" a lot.

"I really want to lose this 5 pounds BUT I don't want to give up my wine every night."

"I would come to the gym four days a week BUT my schedule is too busy right now."

"I am trying to stick to my diet BUT during the summer I can't always plan and be prepared."

The list could go on and on....

Do you ever use the word "But"? The word "But" actually completely and totally negates everything you just said. It completely disqualifies whatever came before it. If you are going to use the word "But" you may as well not have even said your intention in the first place because as soon as you throw the word "But" in there you just gave yourself the out that what you said means NOTHING.

Think about your thoughts today and start to catch how many times you use the word "But," you'll be surprised!

Instead swap it out for the word "And." This will all of the sudden change your mindset to start looking for a solution to accomplish your intention that you said in the first place.

"I really want to lose this 5 pounds AND I don't want to give up my wine every night."

"I would come to the gym four days a week AND my schedule is too busy right now."

"I am trying to stick to my diet AND during the summer I can't always plan and be prepared."

See how when you change your "but's" to "And's" the first part of your sentence and the second part of your sentence can now coexist and you will look for a solution or a way to accomplish what you want to accomplish.

So from now on, the use of the word "But" is not allowed.

No more "But's" to get your Butt in gear! Now get your Butt to the gym!

And you better not say, "But...."