Thursday, April 19, 2007

Incredible machines

Our bodies are incredible machines. It is amazing to me how you can put demands on your body and it adapts, so you put more demands on your body and it adapts again making a you stronger and stronger and more and more fit. I have always known this principal of exercise physiology but it is magnified when training for something like an Ironman. Two years ago I was excited to "complete" a sprint distance triathlon swimming 500m, biking 12 miles and running a 5K...would I be able to complete it, how would I feel?

After gradually progressing my training volume and being consistent now, two years later, I am amazed at what my body is capable of doing. I never would have thought I could do a 112 mile bike ride with 12,500 feet of climbing(by the way 375 people started that century ride and only 298 completed it). Not only did I do that but the very next day I woke up and had a PR at a sprint distance triathlon. Monday I swam a mile and a half and lifted weights, and Tuesday I rode my bike 24 miles followed by 4 miles of running. Ready for a day off yet? No! Wednesday I finished the streak with a 14 mile run and then lifted weights again. Insane!

I am completely amazed that today, my day off, after a week like that I feel a little sore but no more than usual. It is amazing how incredible our bodies are and what they are capable of. Training for this Ironman is truly opening my eyes to what I or anyone is physically capable of. Incredible!!!!

I still can't believe I will be able to run a marathon after swimming 2.4 miles and biking 112 miles but I know I will be able to because I will continue to put demands on my body and build it to that point just in time to complete my first Ironman! Our bodies are Incredible Machines!