Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's Next?

"What's Next?" I have been asked this question hundreds of times. I am an extremely goal oriented person and am always putting goals out for myself and my clients to reach so I guess people get used to me working toward - "what's next?" So they are always asking me this. The funny thing is I am way more focused on the process and experience of reaching that goal than I am on the actual outcome of the goal. Putting that goal out there give's me something to work toward to continue the process of pushing myself physically and mentally.

I completed my Ironman last year, a huge goal for me that took 6 months of focused training to close in on and successfully accomplish and then the question came- "What's next?"

My next goal was my first Powerlifting competition where I set a National Record and won 1st place which was way more than I ever expected to do. Wow! The Youtube video of me was passed around and I showed off my medal and then the question came again-"What's next?"

In the mean time I had received an email that I qualified for the triathlon world championships in Vancouver, Canada and had earned a spot on Team USA. I couldn't pass up this opportunity so I had an answer to "what's next?" I went and represented Team USA at the World Championships, had a great experience and had a personal best and now once again am getting the question- "What's next?"

At this point, I have not come up with a "What's next?" but instead am focusing on doing something everyday to better myself physically along with working towards goals for my business. I am continuing the process without having a "what's next?" Is it possible to push yourself as hard without a "what's next?"

Who knows- maybe I'll decide to do powerlifting again, or another triathlon or maybe I'll get back into the Figure competition world. But in the mean time I will wake up and train everyday to continue the process of pushing myself physically whether I have a "What's next" or not.

I challenge all of you to also focus on the process and not the outcome. Everyday wake up and do what you need to do to continue the process of working toward your goal. The process of becoming who you have to become to accomplish the goal is the rewarding part. The outcome, accomplishing the goal, is the cherry on the top!

I'll keep you posted when I figure out "what's next..." :)