Monday, June 09, 2008

World Championships 2008

Wow! What an amazing experience! That is the closest I'll probably ever be to being in the olympics and it was amazing!

I accomplished my goals with the race- to hold my own in that group of amazing athletes from around the world, not to be last and to have a personal best. I actually did 2:40 which is about 15 minutes off my personal best at Olympic distance. It is amazing when you are competing among the best there is, how much you step your game up. I can't believe I did 2:40. I actually ran under an 8 minute mile which is the fastest 10K I have ever done but again when you have the fastest people in the world running by you you tend to step it up.

They did change the swim to an 1100m swim but it was freezing cold with tough currents and waves and they actually canceled it shortly after my wave went for the rest of the competitors. I couldn't believe they canceled the swim at the world championships but I guess the conditions were that bad so I was that much prouder that I finished the swim. It was the hardest swim I have ever done. None of the men got to swim. Crazy! So, I decided that I get credit for doing full olympic since it was such a tough swim. I think I ended up swimming 1500m anyway.


It was so amazing to be in the race wearing Team USA and have people from all over the world. There were a lot of Great Britain people and Australians, Brazilians, South Africans, Ireland, and I am sure more. Go USA! At the finish line they handed me an American flag to carry across the finish line which was such a great feeling.

What an amazing experience! I am so glad I went!