Sunday, February 11, 2007

A lot can change in 25 miles...

The triple brick sandwich was tough, took about 3 hours. We did 30 miles riding a loop with a couple of hills and then transitioned at the gym to head out for an 8 mile run. I had a bad cramp in my side right at the start of my run which I think was from drinking too much at the end of my bike. I averaged 9:30 min/mile pace. After the 8 mile run, transitioned again back to the bike for 14 miles pretty flat on the bike path. This was a great workout but tough! I have started to practice my nutrition for race day to figure out what I will use. I am liking Gu so far and I loved these things called Bonk Breakers that I ran out of.

Saturday was our day off so I rested up for our big ride on Sunday. Sunday was fore casted for possible rain but when I woke up the skies looked like they had cleared and the rain had come and gone- perfect! I left my jacket, gloves and toe warmers behind because it looked like it was going to be a sunny warm ride. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy ride but at least the sun was out!

Amazing how 25 miles away the weather could be so different... We headed off up the climb on a canyon that does one big loop. It is a steady climb the entire time until you reach the peak after 2225 feet of climbing for 25 miles and then you head back down hill. It is a tough ride but the sun was out as we headed up the climb feeling pretty good. The clouds started to roll in as we were climbing and the sun disappeared. We made it to Green Valley which is the town about midway before completing the loop and the temperature had dropped a little bit and it had started sprinkling. It wasn't too bad- a little sprinkling won't bother me. As we climbed out of Green Valley the rain started to come down hard and the wind picked up. My training partner was ahead of me in a sleeveless shirt and I was waiting for her to stop and at least put her long sleeve shirt on because it was so wet and cold. I was completely soaked(no jacket remember), freezing(my hands were completely numb), the rain is pounding down as we make our way down the grade. I have to pull my glasses down because I couldn't see with them on because the rain was hitting so hard and it was dark. This was not fun in fact it was wet, cold and miserable but I wasn't going to be a whiner. We chose to train through the winter(when most triathletes take time off). I just kept looking at a hole in the sky praying for it to open up and the sun to shine through but it wasn't until we had about 10 miles left that it started to dry up and the sun came out on our last 8 miles heading home.

By the time we got back to the gym we were dry and warm and feeling pretty good about our accomplishment. The lessons for the day is if it crosses your mind that you may want to bring a jacket and/or gloves- bring them. Also when you are doing a 54 mile bike ride you can't just check the weather of where you are leaving from but have to also check the weather where you are going...a lot can change in 25 miles....